Sunday, July 13, 2014

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:14:33 -0600
Subject: Re: Week #7
From: brittney.tidwell@myldsmail.net
To: callitidwell@hotmail.com

Moommmm,
So I learn something new every week, this week i learned how to flush a toilet with a bucket. Because our water in our apartment randomly ran out...yeah that happens in mexico apparently. There isnt just an endless supply of water all the time like in the US. So my laundry bucket was not only my laundry bucket but also my shower and my toilet flusher. Who knew there were so many uses for a bucket. I dont know why we waste so much money on a water bill, buckets are so much cheaper. But now our water is up an running again so that is wonderful!
So in this certain part of our area there are they HUGE hills that lots of people build their little shack houses on and theres just stairs after stairs going up to the different houses up the hills and its seriously like climbing the grand canyon everyday. Well one day this week, one very HOT day this week me and my companion were climbing the grand canyon to try to find this less active lady in our ward that hasnt been to church in a long time. Except we didnt really know where she lived so we were going up the stairs and back down over and over again....FOREVER! i seriously felt like i climbed three mountains and i was all dirty and wanted to stop trying to find this lady because it was taking forever. We didnt know where her house was because in mexico, they dont really have a good house address system. They just write the number of the house on the side of their house with a sharpie marker... so it was pretty difficult. So finally we found the ladys house and she is the sweetest and most kind lady i have ever met. My companions feet have been swelling up lately because of the heat and this lady, who didnt even know us until that moment, got a bucket of water and totally washed and massaged my companions feet and put lotion on them and everything. As i was sitting there watching her wash my companions feet i just thought to myself, this lady is the definition of Christlike love for people. I mean how many people do you know that are willing to wash a total strangers feet??? Anyways this lady goes on to tell us that she doesnt go to church because everyone at church is mean to her. it was super sad. By the time we were done talking with her it was dark out and we had to climb down the moutain in the dark, so that was pretty fun.
And guess what, on Sunday, this inactive lady and her whole family came to church! Me and my companion were so glad! It reminds me of the scripture Jeremiah 16:16, thats exactly how my life is. And this experience just showed me how important each person is to God, important enough that he sends his missionaries to climb mountains and look in caves and holes of the mountain to find them.
So another Awesome thing happened this week...,. i found a mariachi band! a REAL mariachi band!!!! AND THEY SANG LA BAMBA!!!! and they said i could join their mariachi band after my mish. THE CHURCH IS TRUE! I knew i was sent to Mexico for a reason. Hopefully by the end of my mission my gringo accent will be gone so i can sound authentic in the band.
So another thing about Mexico....they LOVE coca cola. They drink it like water. Like seriously, you have no idea how many times i have asked for water and gotten a huge bottle of Coke instead. I never really liked Coke but i guess i do now because around here, Coke is life.
And Mom, dont worry too much about the wires here. Yeah the electical stuff here isnt very good....but ill be ok. And its a mission rule not to go on any roofs for that reason. Its so weird because here everyone just seems to do their own stuff, like we were talking to this man outside his house and we asked him if he wanted to have a lesson with us and he said that he couldnt because we was putting his water pipes in and we look over and there was this huge hole in the ground going to his house. I hope he knows what he is doing! haha.
I think tha language is starting to come. i can understand the basic topic of what people are saying to me so thats a blessing. I will try to do the costco thing but i cant until i get permission from my mission pres to get on that website so until then i have to just keep sending my pictures via email.
Well i hope that you have a fantastic weel! love you lots mom, and dont worry too much, Heavenly Father is watching over the little white girl in Mexico.
Love, Bert
p.s. My companion always laughs at me when i try to roll my tongue. I just CANT do it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment